Monday, October 11, 2010


The fall garden was planted on September 19th this year, and I have never had such uniform and dense germination before. From right to left you see rows of Cherry Belle radish, Florida Broad Leaf mustard greens, Red Ursa kale, Black Seeded Simpson leaf lettuce, more mustard greens, and more lettuce. (In addition there is a basil plant left over from the summer, and transplanted collards and broccoli in the far left of the garden.)

The seed was sowed quickly and without care. I cleared the mulch out of the way to expose soil for rows, and then scattered the seed along the rows. The secret to success this year must be due to the new water hose and head. I've never had such easy access to water before, and it apparently makes a difference. The seedbed was kept moist by a light shower each morning. The young seedlings continue to get frequent light watering. Hard to believe I used to try to do all this with a watering can, which is not practical for the frequency and quantity of water needed. The bottom line is now I have the best garden I have ever grown from seed. The photo was taken on October 9th, 2010 .

No comments: