Saturday, April 14, 2012

Email

At this time, I am a full-time math instructor at the Northwest Campus, where I teach the full gamut of math courses, and I am formerly a full-time South Campus math instructor. For various reasons, I want to diversify my profession, and I am looking to learn if it would be practical for me to teach electronics or engineering related courses at TCC. I think it would be a worthy ambition to teach full-time in that capacity, but I am at this time considering that it may only be possible for me to teach some combination of mathematics and electronics related courses.

Of course, I am open to the possibility that this may be an impractical move for me, but let me try and make my case as follows. I have bachelor's and master's degrees in math, but I also have recent electrical engineering coursework with no degree earned. I have taken 2 sophomore-level classes in circuit analysis, 1 course in electronics, and 1 junior-level course in electromagnetism, all at UTA. I realize that this coursework alone is not enough to qualify me to teach in your department, but I am ambitious and I would pursue additional coursework at TCC if needed.

So, my bottom line here is to seek answers to a few questions in order to see if this is a practical ambition for me.

(1) Would it qualify me to teach at TCC in the "electronics" field if I completed such classes at TCC? I don't see myself finishing the EE degree I started at UTA, due to the expense of doing so. But I would be willing to complete the entire range of coursework at TCC if it meant that I could diversify what I could teach.
(2) How much professional experience in the field (or outside of the classroom) would I have to have to be qualified to teach? In the math department, we do hire teachers with no related industrial experience, but I expect that's not the case for every department.
(3) Are there any reasons why this is not a practical goal for me of which it does not appear I am aware?

Thanks for taking the time to read this message. As for why I sent this message to you, I remember when I was at South Campus listening to you speak on a few occasions, and as a result I am inclined to think that you might be able to answer some of my questions. Please excuse me if that is not the case.

No comments: